Thursday, April 9, 2020

Lessons from Quarantine

After the social distancing measures were put in place and our lives were shaken upside down like an Etch-a-sketch in a matter of a few days, I saw tweets and articles touting all the geniuses who’d been isolated in their day and created masterpieces. Isaac Newton came up with the theory of gravity, Frida Kahlo painted her first self-portrait, and it’s speculated that Shakespeare wrote King Lear. What will be your masterpiece? they asked. What greatness will you achieve during your isolation? After almost one month at home, I’m pleased to announce a few things I have learned during my time of isolation.

Lots of new acronyms: A few  days after schools closed, my awesome 5th grade class and I started learning online. By far my favorite part of the experience has been still being able to connect and talk with my students through our Google Classroom. Unfortunately, often they will leave acronyms I have never seen. When I had a student send me “TYY” I had to decide whether my student was instructing me to ‘teach yourself yiddish’  or ‘teach yourself yodeling’. Either way, it’s clear my students are not impressed with my current hobby of still assigning them work. צום גליק, דער אינטערנעץ האָט מיר געהאָלפֿן צו ווערן גלאַט ייִדיש. (Luckily Google Translate is helping me pretend I speak Yiddish. I am sure my students will be ecstatic to find one of their lessons written entirely in this foreign language) Learning new acronyms has not only been happening in my classroom, but on Twitter. I will likely never disclose how long it took me to actually look up that ‘WHO’ stands for World Health Organization, but I will say that initially I thought it was odd that the Wizarding House Operations had so many ideas about social distancing.
                                   walking into the wrong classroom | Tumblr
Close all tabs before filming: To go along with our online learning, in the past few weeks I have been working on my lifelong dream of being a rich and famous Youtuber. While I am still patiently waiting for my converting customary measurement video to go viral, I have learned a lot of helpful tips and tricks to be a good Youtuber. First and foremost, I now close out of my bank account tabs before I start sharing my screen, avoiding recording all my personal account information and the fact that I went to Cafe Rio again.

The symptoms for COVID-19: Along with my morning ritual of brushing my teeth and eating breakfast, I have worked into my daily routine a clearing of my throat that makes me question my health entirely. Do I have a sore throat coming on? Are my headaches a sign of something more sinister than staring at my computer screen for 12 hours straight? Is my strategy of strictly snacking on sugary foods failing me?! As my morning tailspins and I quickly Google the symptoms, I am pleased to announce that after 27 times of doing this, I have the symptoms memorized. (Not that it will stop me from Googling it, but whatever.) 

A schedule that works for me: As many employees made the shift of working from home, some struggled with keeping the same productivity level and motivation. Helpful people on the internet shared their tips and schedules-making sure you get ready for the day, exercising, making your own office space, eating at the same time each day, etc. Unfortunately this was slightly too organized for someone like me who has the high hopes and aspirations of binge watching every show to ever be created, and I took more comfort in those who posted their schedule including lengthy sessions of napping, television and reading. I decided to pick a happy medium between the two types of schedules, and have organized my evenings into planned TV watching. This way, my 6pm-8 game shows never interfere with my rotating sitcom/drama/documentaries from 8-10. Obviously, I fall into the ‘highly productive’ category of isolation. 

As you can clearly see, while Isaac Newton developed one theory, I have actually learned four amazing things during isolation, and I’m just getting started! You be the judge of who’s the real genius. And if you’re not feeling productive? Don’t worry. Lots of amazing things like the Internet, trampolines, and do-it-yourself popcorn butter dispensers at the movie theaters were all created out of isolation.

No comments:

Post a Comment